Fans, Friends & Followers: Building Your Audience in the Digital Age
April 6, 2011
Want to reach new audiences using new media? Join author, Boston Globe columnist, and CinemaTech editor Scott Kirsner for a special afternoon workshop on how filmmakers, musicians, visual artists, performers, and arts organizations can cultivate big audiences and earn a solid return from their work.
Based on the recent book Fans, Friends & Followers, Scott's workshop will focus on how you can:
* Start building an audience as soon as you commit to your project
* Use social media and crowdfunding tools to get the audience engaged, involved, and supporting the work
* Choose the communication channels that work best for you
* Use your time effectively
* Reach potential audience members in partnership with already-established sites, blogs, podcasts, e-mail lists, and video series
* Understand the four kinds of fans
* Create a range of merchandise, physical and digital, for fans to buy
* Turn people interested in your work into fans who support you economically, from one project to the next.
This interactive workshop will focus on case studies, examples, and recent data points -- and will avoid jargon, assuming a reasonable level of familiarity with the Internet but no special technical expertise.
Participants will receive a free digital copy of Scott's Book, Fans, Friends & Followers.