Open Call: Application to Outside the Box Festival
January 23 - January 30, 2013
American Repertory Theater and Outside The Box invite you to participate in the inaugural Outside The Box festival.
The Express Stage is a juried and curated performance venue that will be located on the Boston Common as part of the Outside The Box festival. The Express Stage will have approximately 300 seats that will run for 10 consecutive days from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. The Express Stage will feature work in the area of theatre, dance, music, live-art, experimental performance, puppetry, new visions of contemporary plays, interpretations of classics and all forms of hybrid performance.
The Express Stage will support works that have a clear artistic vision and/or explore a specific performance aesthetic. The Express Stage is a place where dedicated, professional artists are free to explore new ideas, diverse artistic expression, challenge traditional performance models, and/or engage new audiences.
The Express Stage provides a complete framework, which includes the venue, technical staff, Festival publicity and marketing, technical and performance scheduling, and front of house management.
Performance pieces submitted should be no longer than 90 minutes. Each company is granted a two-hour time slot to load in, perform, and load out. Each company will have one two-hour rehearsal/technical slot in addition to performance slots.
The deadline to apply is January 30, 2013. Successful candidates will be compensated. All performances are free events to the general public.
Anchored in Boston, Massachusetts, Outside The Box is a non-profit (501 c3), curated, multi-arts festival celebrating community and the power of shared experience through art and culture by connecting people and knowledge through the participation in and animation of the arts. Outside The Box will be a large-scale, citywide celebration shining a spotlight on Boston's outdoor public spaces, established cultural institutions and independent artistic voices over the course of 10 days from July 12 - 21, 2013.
Applications are open to projects in all performing arts disciplines.
• An artistic committee of Outside The Box and A.R.T. staff will select projects.
• Applicants must be professional creators/artists.
• Projects should have some form of backing (producing, funding or otherwise)
• Participants will have one 2-hour rehearsal/technical slot in addition to their
• Successful applicants will be responsible for securing their own travel and
accommodation if coming from outside of the Greater Boston area.
• Companies are eligible for more than one performance slot, but should make a
case if they think the work is suited to more than one performance.
How to submit?
• Provide brief biographies of the artists/collaborators and organizations involved.
• Provide a summary of the project and relevant details. Include a description of what you hope to achieve by being presented at the Express Stage.
Submissions should be directed to:
Ariane Barbanell, Director of Special Projects email@example.com
American Repertory Theater, Loeb Drama Center 64 Brattle Street, Cambridge, MA 02138